Wednesday 14 July 2010

Last days!!!

Team Tatton doing an ace job treating the birch ply
Having a laid back break with a much needed coffee.....
The aggregates arrived and here is an almost finished look minus planting and final touches

Tonight is infused with a special feeling of anticipation, as tomorrow morning the plants finally arrive from Orchard Dene, and we have our last day of real work. The whole project has gone so well we've had several day's of virtually no work except a little watering here, dodging rainstorms there, titivating and idly pushing small stones from one area to an other, all my workers are leaving Friday, and one even went home earlier this week. If this weren't such an important project to me, I might even venture to say I've been a little bored and aching for some activity and excitement... However tomorrow should prove fun, as I think the plants will really bring this design to life, and then for the evening I've booked us into the local posh restaurant for our last supper together...

I also had a quick chat today with the RHS Uber Big Boss Bob Sweet who came to make sure the young designers weren't up to mischief or building unsightly gardens. He dropped a small bombshell, and told me my judgement day wasn't next Tuesday like the rest of the show, but that our medals, and results for the Young Designer Comp would be announced in a great fanfare, on the Wednesday in front of a gaggle of national media coming in the bus load from London. In fact our accolade would be bestowed upon us by the eminent president of the RHS Elizabeth Banks!! Though I appreciate all the attention, I do feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights, it all seems a bit undeserved and all about showmanship and marketing. I also feel awful for the two of us that will be standing like lemons in the spotlight and not getting the award. The media love a bit of high emotion and suspense, but I just hope my nerves hold out...

If there is anything I have learnt from this experience it is
a) People are predominantly incredibly friendly and warm up here, always smiling and ready for a little chin wag or happy to help.The north prides it's self on it's laid back friendliness and quit rightly too!
b) Don't underestimate local knowledge and never be afraid to ask for it. Had I known this at the start of the project I would have found so many sources of ready help, advice and materials. It would all have been much easier than trying to source everything from scratch.

Finally I want to say a big Hi!! to all the Buildbase boys, who I've heard are following my blog, and who wish I'd come to them for my materials.. Maybe next time aye ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia - looks like this is going very well, love the design. Good luck for the judging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking haaaaaaat! (and so is the design ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks fantastic. My very best wishes for a great show...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails